Dear Parents and Community Members:
MYRNA LOY CORLEY
As we begin the 2013-2014 School Year, I am confident that the year will be one of purpose and possibilities. Further, it is my hope that the new school year avails our students with amazing opportunities to continue to enhance their academic endeavors.
The school calendar is designed to serve as a viable resource, as it is reflective of academic, extracurricular, and athletic events that are offered to our students and community. Please be advised that District and school events as indicated may be revised and updated as necessary. You may receive these updates from your school, or by accessing the East Cleveland City School District’s website at www.east-cleveland.k12.oh.us.
The East Cleveland City School District continues its tradition of extending to our students a comprehensive and rigorous curriculum. Committed to meeting the needs of students, the District implements instructional programming that is reflective of current scientifically research based practices.
Further, differentiated instruction affords the opportunity for students to receive instruction that is tailored to meet their individual academic needs.
We are excited to announce two new programs within our Career and Technical Department. Specifically, Performing Arts/Media and Construction Technology are being offered to students beginning this school year. Both programs will provide students with the opportunity to receive instruction and experiences designed to equip them with the skills needed for future success in these respective careers.
I am pleased to announce that the District continues to implement programs that positively impact our students academically, physically, and psycho-socially. We will participate in the Community Option Program effective this school year. As a result of this initiative, all students within the East Cleveland City School District will receive breakfast and lunch at no cost. Additionally, students participate in wellness activities that include free vision and dental examinations. The Wellness Center housed at Shaw High School is the only school based wellness center in Cuyahoga County. Additionally, the District employs school nurses and school social workers to support our students.
It is my intent that all of our students graduate from Shaw High School and transition to becoming viable citizens within our society. I am pleased to share some of the accomplishments of the Class of 2013. These accomplishments include, but are not limited to the following:
- Graduates amassed over $1,700,000 in scholarships.
- Members of the Class of 2013 prevailed as state champions in the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drum Major for Justice Advocacy Contest, with one senior placing second in the nation.
- A member of the Class of 2013 was the Regional Winner of Princeton University’s Award for Race Relations.
- Members of the Class of 2013 were the first group of youth to address the Cuyahoga County Government Executive Office.
- Members of the Class of 2013 were leaders as Shaw High School hosted international guests from all over the world, including Human Rights Leaders from the Middle East, the Ukraine, Bulgaria, and Serbia.
- Members of the Class of 2013 traveled internationally and served as ambassadors for the United States in Brazil.
- Members of the Class of 2013 were graduates of the prestigious Stephanie Tubbs Jones Summer Legal Academy held at Case Western Reserve University School of Law.
- The Valedictorian for the Class of 2013 was selected as a recipient of the Gates Millennium Scholarship.
- A member of the Class of 2013 was named a Global Young Entrepreneur, the only student to receive such an honor in the State of Ohio.
- Members of the Class of 2013 began the first Shaw Girls’ Soccer Team in the history of Shaw High School.
- The Shaw Girls’ Basketball Team reigned as Lake Erie League Champions.
- Members of the Shaw High Wrestling Team were named top area wrestlers by the Plain Dealer Newspaper.
- The Mighty Marching Cardinal Band earned Grand Champion Awards in all of their competitions.
- The belief that every student can achieve excellence is paramount to the attainment of our vision: “The East Cleveland City School District will emerge as a District of Excellence.” Our vision propels us toward the future; a future that is continually focused on student success.
- It is my continued desire that every student enrolled in the East Cleveland City School District excel academically to ensure success in becoming productive members of our society. To that end, I need all parents and stakeholders to be actively involved in the education of all East Cleveland City School District students.
- I look forward to seeing and greeting you at the events and activities that are outlined in this calendar for this school year. Please feel free to contact me at 216-268-6580 should you have questions, comments, or are in need of additional information.
Very truly yours,
Myrna Loy Corley, Superintendent